A Tribute to Robin Williams



For the second time this year, we have lost, prematurely, one of our most precious actors. Robin Williams was not as good an actor as Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I always enjoyed watching his performances. He could make even mediocre films like Patch Adams, Bicentennial Man and What Dreams May Come fun to watch. And few, if any, actors have more starring roles in my favourite 150 films than Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet’s Society, The Fisher King, Good Morning, Vietnam), with an honorable mention for his role in one of my favourite Disney animated films: Aladdin.

It did not surprise me to learn of Williams’ depression, because I had always thought of him as a ‘sad’ clown, someone who carried the pain and suffering in the world as a personal burden. Perhaps that is why I felt he was at his best in some of his most serious roles. Williams was, I believe, a good intelligent man and brilliant comedian who wanted to make the world a better place, something I think he accomplished through his work in various ways. Robin, you will be missed.

Comments

  1. Yes he will be missed and the responses to his death show what a good intelligent man he was. RIP RW

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts